Monday, October 29, 2007

Trying to Organize My Kids

Trying to figure out what is going to motivate my kids to stay on top of their daily responsibilities seems like a never ending journey. So over the weekend I developed what I'm sure is strategy number 208 or something like that. I set up this "information station" if you will, just off the kitchen by the door where we exit to the garage.


I used cheap .97 cent clipboards that I bought at walmart and just added labels to the bottom.



The clipboards came with little hangers on them that pulled up and then I adhered a clear 3M hook to the wall.


My label categories were the following:
Responsibility Chart
Responsibility Chart
Homework
Hey Mom & Dad - Look at this (paperwork they bring home from the school that I'm suppose to read or sign)
Return to School (homework that needs to be turned in or anything I was suppose to sign and return to the school)
School Calendar

Each child has a responsibility chart. If they fill out all the squares for one day, then the following day they have privileges like watching a tv show or being on the computer. I also told them then when they have BOTH (this way they help each other and hold each other accountable) completed three weeks worth of responsibility charts that have all the squares filled out they will get a special treat! (Maybe chuck-e-cheese, a new book, something like that)

My daughter's responsibility chart has simple things on it like "wear coat to school" and "bring coat home from school" These are the things she does not do on a daily basis that drive me NUTS. "Bring your lunch box home" "No shoes lying around" "Make Bed" "Clean Room"

My son is younger so on his chart I added some pictures as well so he would be able to identify his tasks. One of his is "No toothpaste mess" Because everyday he makes a huge toothpaste mess in his sink and it is ridiculous!

Hopefully this will work. I hung it all up last night after they went to bed and introduced them to it this morning. They seemed excited about it. Wish me luck!

17 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think it looks great and I like the part about them keeping each other accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good! We do something similiar, except I don't have the cool clip boards (yet!) I have a jar that I filled with slips of paper that they kids can pick out of once their responsibility charts are full. The slips in the jar say things like: a new book, a trip to the dollar store, bowling, a lunchable, invite a friend over for a sleepover.......things like that.
    Good luck! It has been pretty successful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Shan, you will find you strategy one day ;-) The neverending battle of being a mom huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you're making me look really bad right now. Right now my strategy is called no strategy. It is a whirling vortex of chaotic free for all. Let me know how it all works out, strategy 208. Maybe I'll try it to regain control. LOL!

    xo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish I had the energy to do this...I have one little feller who makes me want to beat my head off the wall with his messiness and laziness. I end up deciding the fight is not worth it (even though I know it is), just to keep from fighting with him 24/7!! I have already vowed to take the side of his future wife in any disagreement they have. I feel I owe that to her...

    I applaud your efforts!!
    Linda

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! you are so creative and organized!! it's been a few days now, how's it working?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I think I'm going to have to try this with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i found this through "30 days" blog. I love that idea...esp with 3 kids (3, 5, and 10) and school starting up, this might actually be good for me!

    i see that you posted this a while back, did it work out well for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea. I'm definitely going to incorporate this into my mud room/laundry makeover. Great place to keep all the kids paperwork and schedules. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you through Tip Junkie. I use the same method (clipboards) for my 3 kids. It's great - the kids know exactly where to look for homework, sports schedules/info, party invitations. Even my husband has a clipboard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a cute idea. I saw it on Tip Junkie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this. I found you through Tip Junkie. I have been looking for tips like this to try and get my son to take more ownership of his chores and homework and I think this could help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. Found it on Tip Junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smart, smart, smart! My kiddos are quite young, but I'm logging this idea away for down-the-road. Fantastic!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am SO IMPRESSED!!!! I saw your link from Blissfully Domestic and just HAD to come check this out for myself. You Go Girl, that is an incredible idea, thanks so much for sharing!

    xoxo,
    Melissa in Mel's World

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant idea! I am at school and will do this to keep track of the (scary)GCSE's I am about to start. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!