Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Drawers and Corners

Just wanted to share this little corner in my home. It is my way of tipping my hat to the 50's when there was only one phone in the house and it was usually in the front hallway with a telephone table. I did my own twist on it. It is in the main hallway of my house right next to a built-in desk. This is where my kiddos will be talking on the phone to their friends! Right out in the middle of the house! Oh I really wish I would've been a teen in the 50's. I was born way too late! (someday this bench will have a pretty padded cushion!)

Here is a great site for replica phones:
http://www.1-noveltyphones.com/index.php/cPath/11/osCsid/14c31b041c86ac32da8e0934a52cac79
I got mine at Target actually for around $45

My Invention: The Appliance Drawer......
It looks like an ordinary drawer that might have tupperware or dishrags in it right?

guess again! It has two appliances in it that are always plugged in! I've got my toaster and my blender base in this drawer and they are always ready to go! I'm tooting my own horn here...but I didn't see this anywhere...I came up with this idea on my own...do you like it?

time for my morning protein shake!

(no mother, your eyes are not failing you....I put a picture of my dirty toaster on my blog!)

16 comments:

  1. Love the little phone bench. I think that's a great idea. If I ever let my kids talk on the phone, I'll have to make sure they're sitting where I can hear them. Kidding of course, they'll be able to talk on the phone when they're 18...

    Oh and about the toaster... I was a little surprised to see your dirty toaster. Thanks for letting us in on that part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I am assuming you also have a kitchen aid one too. That is imperative when I build my dream house, if that every happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...I happened to stumble upon your blog and I love it! My kids are still young, but already, when they talk on the phone they just walk around. The days of cordless phones. I love your comfy corner. Maybe if I had one of those, I'd be more willing to use the phone. :)

    And I love the appliance drawer. We're constantly having to drag things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them both! Especially the drawer. I didn't even notice the dirty toaster. I guess I thought that's what toasters look like. What kind of blender is that? I'm ready to fork over bucks for a good blender. I've never been impressed with my kitchen aid one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TO THINK I COULD HAVE CLEANED THAT TOASTER AND DIDN'T GO FIGURE, WHERE WAS MY HEAD ? JUST A LITTLE SOS HONEY.Lol. I LOVE THE DRAWER TOO. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the drawer! Ahhh, to have uncluttered counters!

    P.S. Thanks for the comments and I love your blog designs! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That drawer idea is BRILLIANT!!! You know kitchen shops are going to be pushing them left right & centre!!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that little phone bench!

    Thought of you yesterday, when Jack was wearing one of Colt's old shirts...I laughed when I realized that it had a #8 on it. So, Jack was honoring you all over town yesterday!

    Awhile back I was trying to figure out if I could drill a hole in my drawer to do accomplish that same thing...I hate my toaster and food processer beign out! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the drawer idea. I didn't notice it when I was loading cupboards with you.

    And the corner is a great idea. My kids tend to walk circles around the house while talking on the phone. I like the idea of tying them to one very visible location!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, first... great bench and phone WITH CORD! (where ever did you find such a thing) and i love the idea of a cushion and having it right next to the desk... i really do love the appliance drawer too! i do not like to have those appliances on the counter and that is a really clever way to conceal them w/ out the inconvenience of plugging and unplugging (my toaster looks worse)! do you have one of the mixer cabinets that has the shelf that hoists the mixer to counter level? beautiful job, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do have a mixer stand in a cabinet for my kitchen aid mixer as well.

    I got the phone at target I think it was either $39 or $49 can't remember...don't waste your money on the $79 one from Pottery Barn!

    here is a great site for replica phones:
    http://www.1-noveltyphones.com/index.php/cPath/11/osCsid/14c31b041c86ac32da8e0934a52cac79

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry, it cut the site address off so I added it to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both! That appliance drawer is ingenius.

    I feel that way about the phone as well... that and the computer need to be in a public area of the house when it comes to teens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Appliance drawer!!!? Where has that been all my life?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!