Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Aebleskiver Recipe


I had two requests for the recipe, so here it is!

Aebleskiver Recipe...As given to me by my MIL

4 egg yolks
2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C buttermilk
4 egg whites (beaten stiff)
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
vanilla
cardamom (optional) I use a good sprinkling in the batter

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat egg yolks with sugar; add rest of ingredients, folding in beaten egg whites last. Add cardamom if desired. Have your pan on the stove, it should be heating at about medium. I also keep along side of me a small cream pitcher with oil. With each batch I place a small amount of oil in each cup. Before making first batch. Take a little batter and drop into a preheated and oiled slot. It should bubble if the pan is hot enough. Using a ladle, fill each slot about half full of batter. Keep two forks and paper towels close by (the fork quickly becomes caked with batter and will need to be wiped off periodically). Let the bottom half cook. Then with the forks, just roll the aebleskivers until they puff up and feel somewhat firm when you insert fork. Adjust heat if they get too dark too fast so that the middles aren't cooking. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and put in a pan in preheated 325 oven till you have enough to serve.


You should alwasy season your Aebleskiver pan (at least once) before using it the first time.
Seasoning your pan
1. Heat the oven to 250-300
2. Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil because it will leave a sticky surface the the pan will not be properly seasoned.
3. Put the pan in the oven. In 15 minutes, remove the pan and pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 2 hours.

Repeating this process several times is recommended as it will help create a stronger "seasoning" bond.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe. I will try it out soon. Thanks too for the instructions on properly seaoning the pan.

    I am new to your site and have really enjoyed reading it. I too am a born again Christian and I appreciate reading a clean blog. Your creative ideas are inspiring :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the recipe. I will try it out soon. Thanks too for the instructions on properly seaoning the pan.

    I am new to your site and have really enjoyed reading it. I too am a born again Christian and I appreciate reading a clean blog. Your creative ideas are inspiring :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAhhhh, I was wondering how they were placed so evenly in that pan. Now I get it! I'm always up for buying a new pan. Something deep fried just might taste ok (I said OK) with rice flour too. I'll let you know if I ever try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love abelskivers! I had a pan once but loaned it to someone and don't remember who. So if you're reading this and have my abelskivers pan could you please return it! ;-)
    Sounds like a fun New Years tradition that you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Again

    I spent part of the day yesterday looking at your site. I absolutely love it. Esp. looking at the birthday themes. I am not very creative and I always end up spending way too much money trying to make a party look nice. This really gives me some ideas for my girls' bdays this year.

    Did you take a cake decorating class? Your cakes are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum yum. this must be part of your new year resolutions diet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure about that dessert but your header is adorable....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do I have to wait till next New Year's to make them?! Anything fried and coated in powdered sugar can't be bad :)! Had to let you know I loved your new header and elements--especially the classic black and white around the sides!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to let you know that I received my bracelet today and I absolutely LOVE it! Couldn't have been more perfect, and it fit me like a glass slipper. All this custom work could get awfully addicting! Thanks again so much for your giveaway. I'm on my way to your MIL's site to give her a big thanks too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw a commercial for something they called puff pancakes. The pan looked exactly like the one Margie was using. It was cast iron, and you can find them at puffpancakes.com-

    ReplyDelete
  11. pancakepuff.com actually! If anyone is interested-

    ReplyDelete
  12. You haven't posted in like 6 days. Not a good way to start '08!!!!! That's more like me, not you. Will you please re-do my blog. I am tired of looking at it. Especially, the blue background. Pretty please.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!