Saturday, June 20, 2009

Working on getting Edge-u-mi-cated!

You all know that I am a blog designer. To date I haven't really spent much time studying beyond the design aspect of blogging, websites, and code. But I'm feeling like I really need to take the next step in my business and learn more so that I can be a wealth of knowledge for my clients. I also just feel like with my job, this is stuff I need to know and understand.

So my first area I'm diving into is SEO. It stands for Search Engine Optimization. From what I understand it basically refers to how you rank when someone puts in those keywords in their search bar (when they google something). Of course everyone wants to be the very first link that pops up! There are a few things apparently that are helpful for moving your site up in the ranks of the search results. In your sites code you definitely want your site title to include the most common keywords that someone would be using to find your site. You would also want your site description to contain those keywords as well. I also discovered that you should be trying to use those keywords within your content about 6%-7% of the time. WOW! That's a lot. If you want to know what percentage you are using your keywords...you can use this site http://www.keyworddensity.com/

It's a bit more detailed than what I've explained here. But here is a link to a site that explains it fairly clearly and to the point. http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-For-Understanding-SEO&id=395999

Hope this was helpful. I plan to share as I learn! Hopefully as I learn you will learn!

1 comment:

  1. Good post on SEO. I have been planning to do an SEO analysis of my site for awhile so you are inspiring me to get on that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!