Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feels like home again

So, for the last 2 months I've been working with high school ministry at church.  It's been SEVERAL years since I've worked with HS students.  As a single gal I worked in the ministry for years and I was aslo a coach at a local HS (my alma mater...Go CHIEFS!)

About 8 months ago I began meeting with a student one on one.  Every Thursday I pick her up from school, we go get a starbucks and we just chat about life and I do my best to encourage her and be a good listening ear.  A few months ago I decided to meet up with her at Wednesday night ministry so I could meet some of her friends. 

I walked away from that night with many thoughts.  Thoughts that I ended up sharing with our youth pastor one evening when we invited him and his wife over for dinner.  I'm a person (for the most part) who is willing to be a part of the solution if I'm going to take issue with something.  So I offered some solutions for my concerns.  Next thing I knew I was heading up a ministry that is trying to get more parents involved in the ministry and I'm there every wednesday night.

I've been making some really great connections with the leaders.  In fact I had a 3 hour lunch with one of the gals the other day!!  They have been so receptive to me and you can see how much they desire to have a more mature christian woman speak into their lives.  It's been awesome!  I've made some connections with a couple students as well and I'm looking forward to where that will lead.

I come home every Wednesday feeling totally energized.  I feel as though I'm "home again."  I've been in a bit of an "emotional lull" for awhile now and it's been neat to see how God is using my service in this minstry and the new relationships I'm forming to feed my soul and lift my spirits.  I'm truly thankful for the path He currently has me on.  He really is the ultimate healer.  Interestingly enough the name of the HS ministry is REFUGE and it has definitely been that for me!

10 comments:

  1. Shannon - you just make my heart happy - what a perfect post - I am SOOOO thankful for women like you who take action - when it is so much easier to complain and do nothing. I love that you are involved in the ministry that my son has embraced - that you are impacting the leaders and the life of a young girl. And, so much more, I am thrilled that you are filling God's love pouring into you and your spirit is filling revived and awake and alive -- couldn't be happier... and my son, loves seeing your dad there every week! May your giving be returned to you tenfold, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I can't wait to get back into HS ministry. I'm hoping hoping hoping to get to go to GE this summer, we'll see.

    I'm laughing little tiny bit, at the comment "They have been so receptive to me and you can see how much they desire to have a more mature christian woman speak into their lives." Only because...who'd have thought we'd be on the "mature christian woman" end of that some day? Here we are. Mature. I'm so happy that "you're home"...it so feels like home to me, know matter who is in charge. I love Jon and Jen...they are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome, Shannon. I realized recently how much more alive I feel when I'm serving in my gift and passions. It really does feed your soul. So glad that you can be 'home again'. Praying he will continue to use you and others in the ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! You are the type of wife and mom that gals need to hang out with so that the Jesus in you can rub off on them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, I'm so proud of you for the ownership you have taken in this situation...I'm also grateful you didn't give up on getting Paul back involved...anyone else would have the first time he didn't email you back about coming...he is enjoying it and praying God will show him his role in the ministry, knowing it takes time to find your place...anyhow, good job girl...I appreciate who you are more and more with each passing year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you! So great to 'meet' another sister in Christ! Our young adults need to see the truth of their faith - bless you for investing in them - teach them about being 'not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ'! Can't wait to read more about you! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel ya! I just stepped down after 5 years with our h.s. group because my kids are getting older and busier and I had to reevaluate my priorities. I found that there is something unique and powerful that a MOM can bring to the group. Our other younger leaders couldn't always see the bigger picture with the kids because they weren't married or parents yet...that changes your perspective SOOOO much on how you interact with the students. You're a beautiful person and I love that you are feelin' that energy h.s. ministry has going on...its a wild ride but oh so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful that they have treated you with such respect and love.
    I am sure that you will bring so much to their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!