Thursday, August 30, 2007

What to do with all those school papers.....

Hey my fellow SITStas! So, this post is almost a year old, but it would be a fun summer project to do before school starts in the fall (as if we even wanna think about that yet!) I'm excited about all the SITSta comment love that is on its way!! If you get a chance don't forget to visit my blog design portfolio at www.eightcrazydesignportfolio.blogspot.com

Oh, and don't forget to enter the giveaway today at Tip Junkie that is featuring an EightCrazy Designs giveaway for a $28 gift card towards a blog design!!



For some of you school has already started, my kids start next week. So it's supply shopping and open houses for now. But when they come home with completed school work, or all the paperwork the school sends home with all the needed info, what's a girl to do with all that paperwork. After all kids like to see their stuff on display and the much needed info from the school needs to be easily accessible, right?
So here is an option for you.....a clip display board. I decorated this one to go with a school theme for all the school papers. But you could decorate it to match your decor, or another theme you have in mind.
It's pretty simple to do....
Supplies:

wooden board (approx 2' long and 4' tall....you'll find them at craft stores and sometimes they are already even painted!)

3 bulldog clips (office supply sections of stores)

E6000 adhesive (craft store or even home depot carries this)

acrylic paint or spray paint

paint brushes (only if you are using acrylic paint)

2 metal picture hanging brackets

hammer

If you want to do the school theme: buy 2 regular wooden rulers

(ok I don't want to confuse you but instead of painting you could use paper and modge podge to cover the board.....just another idea!)

Step 1: Paint the board in the desired colors you have chosen and let it dry. (or modge podge if that's the route you chose)

Step 2: Turn the board over. Use your hammer and attach the hanging brackets to the back of the board about half an inch below the top edge (you may actually be able to find these boards at your craft stores with hanging holes pre-drilled on the back)

Step 3: If you are doing the school theme use the E6000 adhesive and adhere the rulers to the top edge

Step 4: Use the E6000 adhesive to adhere the bulldog clips. Vertically center the clips and then disperse them evenly across the length placing the one in the center first. (measuring this out is helpful) Give the adhesive adequate time to dry.

Step 5: Hang your finished product on the wall and wait for the kiddos to come home! You'll load these clips up pretty quickly.



Some other ideas beyond the school theme.....make one for your child's room. Paint it in colors to match and then use scrapbooking sticker letters to personalize the board with your child's name. Make one that is dedicated to your child's artwork. Try one that's just for phone messages. The ideas are endless! I even made one for my daughter's teacher as a christmas gift one year and peronalized it with the teacher's name for her to display papers in the classroom.
Oh, I almost forgot....You could even use chalkboard spray paint to paint the board! Then you can write on the board itself with chalk!!
Happy Crafting!

64 comments:

  1. I like it!! I'm going to michael's tomorrow. I'm going to try that and the canvas. You'll come back from camping to see my first real 'house craft'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I can't wait to see your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Great idea and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now having 4 kids and 3 that will be in school next year, this is something that I can really use! What a great idea! I'll def be making one of these this summer before school starts! Thanks for such a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea! We have a room just off of our porch that each school year I love to hang all of my daughter's art work/work up in - not as cute as your idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic suggestion. And, congrats on the featuring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey...just over from SITS! I love this idea! I'm a teacher, and I am positive I could use something like this...I'm going to have to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here from SITS! What a great project!! Congratulations on being featured today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here from SITS. That is fantastic! I have piles of my son's art work and I can't display it all, but I do keep it in a box for him, but this is a brilliant idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon,
    Congrats, you know that I love ya. Totally great idea. I have been thinking alot about what to do with all of the art work around my house. So far its just one kid but soon, it will be 4. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed your blog. Great cakes and lovely design. Will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea!!!

    Congrats on your SITS feature!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything that makes kids feel more proud of their work and that you appreciate it too, means a lot to them. So, I think this is a wonderful idea! My boys are constantly coming home with artwork and I don't know what to do with all of it. THe best, biggest pieces I end up framing and putting on the wall...but obviously can't do that for all of em.

    Happy SITS day! So nice to meet you, you crafty gal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so crafty - another great idea! This would be a great birthday gift for my sister (mother of a fabulous almost-second-grader).

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought about that! That's wicked cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am completely intimidated by crafty things ... but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here fron SITS. What an absoloutly wonderful idea!! Another craft project that Taylor and I can do, this holiday. She can then take it home and her Mum won't be running around lke a chook with her head cur off, looking for that important peice of paper that Taylor brought home from school and forgot to give to her. I'm sure I can train Taylor to clip it to the board, especially if she helps make it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahem... that should be 'running around like a chook with her head CUT off' (I really must proof read before I hit send)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great idea!! My daughter wants us to save everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea! Here from SITS but I'll be back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mom could use that idea for all of her paperwork for her job! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! Here from SITS and I'm so glad to have found your blog. You have such wonderful ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray! Congrats on being the SITS queen for a day! Chances are I've read all your featured things (back when I was still a lurker!)--but now I'll speak up. LOVE this idea! anything to make paper clutter look cute is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea! I can see lots of applications for it--hanging it the kitchen for recipes you want to use during the week, shopping and to do lists; hang it in the office for bills to pay, mail, reminders; hang it in the bedroom for special little notes or cards to remind our SOs how much we love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon, What a great idea. I don't have school papers anymore...my kids are grown. But I'm holding out for grandkids and then I can use this.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  27. air "crafting" in from SITS~cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. SITS sista checking in. That is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  29. SITSta checking in! Love that idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great and easy idea!

    Congrats on being the SITS featured blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just might make this...this weekend. Looks easy. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great idea. Better then hanging on the frig. (janes Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So clever and adorable!

    Happy SITs day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is a cute idea! I hang most things on the fridge and then they are usually all falling off.

    I love summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great idea! The rulers are an especially nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great Idea! I'll have to remember that when my little ones start school in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats on being featured on SITS (and Tip Junkie!).

    I love the idea. This is definitely much better than my current alternative of taping them up individually to the cabinets in my kitchen and covering every square inch!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's a fabulous idea. Right now their work is confined to a dusty box I keep under my bed, well, what's outgrown the fridge I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  39. more than anything, I love E6000

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great tutorial. Makes me wish I had a reason to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. that's awesome. I may have to do two. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is really clever. I could use it for all that extra mail that piles up and I don't know what to do with. However, did you mean 2'x4"? Because I don't see where the 4' come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great way to keep things organized! I always enjoy those ideas -- I'm an organizing junkie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think I definitely need to make one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awesome idea! Seems simple, but I just know I would somehow screw it up. I am exceedingly "challenged" in this arena!

    Glad to see you're getting plenty of comment love! I went to today's post first and got worried that everyone left town!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Aren't you just a smarty pants? What a practical idea made so cute! Hope you are having fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That's a great idea. I've been keeping a basket for school stuff, but your idea is way more clever.

    Congrats on being featured on SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a cute idea! I'll have to remember this...

    ReplyDelete
  49. great idea, organization is not my strong suit, going to try this!

    Showing love from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  50. So cute...I did something similar at our old house to hand the numerous pieces of artwork the kids create...I put them in the stairwell to the basement...but for some reason the kids just kept knocking them off the wall...so I gave up...I may try again with the school work thought, nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Awesome idea- I'm bookmarking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hey girl!

    I have a couple of these in my playroom for the kiddo's artwork. Sure beat having to staple them into the walls (the only other way papers would stay on the wall - LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great idea! Maybe I can get a few made before school starts again.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Cute idea! Might be great for daycare here too...uh oh...you've got me thinkin'!!

    ps are you obsessed with 8 because you just happen to run into it ALL them time, or because you just like it?

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm going to go ahead and make one of these but not for school papers since Gabriel is only 16 months but for his drawings of the week, his Summer reading book list (we read books daily as well) and my list of things to do, maybe even a menu plan for the week!

    Your soo creative, we came from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  56. That's a fantastic idea. I can think of loads of things to use that for at home as well as in my class room. I'll definitely have to give this a spin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  57. I guess I can go ahead and keep our stainless, non-magnetic fridge now that I see there IS a great way to showcase kids' work! Thanks for sharing for us "creatively challenged" folks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a note!